What should I do with my bird if I need to travel?
Close this page to return to more Frequently Asked Questions.
Much of the following article is courtesy of Zupreem, a major manufacturer of
diets for exotic birds and other pets. Be sure to visit their website
at http://www.zupreem.com. You can sign up to be on their Feathered
Friends Club mailing list, and even get money-off coupons there!

Boarding Your Pet: We do offer boarding here at Burge Bird Services.
For those outside the Kansas City area, if you want your birds to
interact with others during the day, boarding your pet at a pet shop,
veterinary clinic or a private boarding facility may be your best
option. If you don't know of a quality boarding facility, ask your
veterinarian, other bird owners or bird clubs for names of
professional boarding facilities in your area.

Leaving Your Bird at Home: Trusted friends or family members often
make good pet sitters. However, if you need to find a professional pet
sitter who can come to your home several times a day, call us at Burge
Bird Services for a recommendation, or call Pet Sitters International
(PSI) at 336-983-9222 or visit their website at www.petsit.com for
names of member pet sitters in your area.

Taking Your Bird With You: The number of pet owners who take their pets on
vacation is increasing each year, and because pets are members of our families,
it's no surprise we want to include them. Whether you're taking your bird with
you this summer or making arrangements for his care at home, here are
some tips that may help you plan.

Schedule a Checkup: Before you take off, have your bird examined by an
avian veterinarian to make sure he doesn't have any underlying health
problems. It's also a good idea to ask your veterinarian for the name
of practitioners in areas you'll be traveling.

Health Certificate: While you're at the veterinary clinic, ask for a
health certificate that confirms your bird is in good health. Some
airlines require one, as well as some states, especially if your bird
is going to visit public places such as parks, camping grounds,
amusement parks, etc.

Trim Wings: Since your bird's normal routine and environment will be
different, it's a good idea to trim your bird's wings before you
leave. This way you can be assured if your pet gets loose in
unfamiliar surroundings, he won't go far.

First-aid Kit: If you don't already have one, buy an avian first-aid
kit, or ask your veterinarian to help you customize one. Then make
sure you know how to administer first aid.

In the Car: Never leave your bird in a closed car during warm, hot or
cold weather. The temperatures inside a closed car can rise or fall
rapidly creating a life-threatening environment for your bird. Don't
leave your bird in a car with the windows rolled down. Aside from
strangers poking fingers through his cage, your beautiful bird can be
a temptation to thieves. If this is the first long car trip for your
bird, you will want to observe him for carsickness. If he regurgitates
or shows other signs of discomfort, place his cage on the floor of the
car or cover it on the seat, making sure he has adequate ventilation.

Crossing State Lines: You should be aware of states that have
quarantines because of Exotic Newcastle Disease. Here are two websites
you can visit to learn more about this disease.

Leaving the Country: If you plan to take your pet bird with you on foreign
travel, or your residence has been outside the United States for a year
and you plan to travel to the United States with a pet bird, you
will need to have a permit before you travel.  Except budgerigars and
cockatiels, all other pet birds must have a CITES permit, which takes 60
days and costs $25.  You will also need to find out whether the country(ies) you
plan to visit have additional import and export requirements and restrictions.
For more information, contact:
International Affairs
Office of Management Authority
4401 N. Fairfax Drive, Room 700
Arlington, VA 22203
703/358-2281 fax
U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service

Traveling by Plane: If you're planning on flying with your bird, read
an in-depth article on airline regulations and how you need to
prepare. The article can be found on
www.parrotchronicles.com/winter2001/travel.htm. If you need help with
shipping your bird, a local company called Pet Air can help you make
the arrangements. Visit their site at http://www.flypets.com or call
(816) 471-3852.
Burge Bird Services
Julie Burge, DVM
13833 S. 71 Hwy
Grandview, MO 64030
(816) 356-4700